Thursday, March 20, 2014

Bringing me Sunshine

I was up early this morning despite the fact that Thom decided not to catch the early bus but catch the one that left for Winchester at the Wallops at  9.15 a.m. Last night he had been emphatic that he intended to catch the early bus and work in the library at college but this morning decided he would do his work at home - which meant using Sara's computer in order that he could print some stuff off.  I was attending a daylight lodge meeting at Devizes, Fiat Lux, which met at 11 a.m. so after dropping off Thom at the Wallops I drove to Devizes via Amesbury to fill up with fuel and get some cash.  Driving over Salisbury Plain I listened to the late tony Benn reading extracts from his 1991-2001 diary which included his reporting of his spoof interview with Ali G.  I really had to laugh out loud and it made me realise that I must put more humour into my own journal as laughter is a really wonderful thing and an wonderful antidote for feeling down. I really would like those of you reading these few scribbled notes to have a good chuckle from time to time. Another wonderful quote was from a conversation Tony had with Tony Blair - when asked what he was going to do on retiring from the House of Commons Tony (Benn) replied -  I think I'll take up politics!  Wonderful stuff.  Although Tony Benn and I never had the same political views I am tempted to buy a copy of his diary. Arriving in Devizes I parked the car in the usual car park in Sheep Street (it would have to be "Sheep" street wouldn't it after all the talk about sheep at the house group last night!).  I put 5 hours worth of parking money in thinking that would be more than adequate.  The meeting was well attended at the Provincial Grand Master, who is a member, was delighted to see me and confirmed that he was thrilled to know that I would be accepting the offer of a promotion to Past Provincial Grand Chaplain and emphasised his hope that in due course I would become the Province's Grand Chaplain.  I expressed my own delight in this great honour and acknowledgement of a service which I would be delighted to render to the Province and my willingness to deputise in the meantime.  A lovely friend group of people in the meeting and at the lunch.  I feel very privileged to have met, this week, so many lovely people and am feeling really blessed at the moment. The meeting did go on much longer than anticipated and I had to leave before the end in order to get back to Winterslow in good time.  Tonight I took ten people (myself included) - the members of our own Ecumenical House Group - to Southampton to a wonderfully funny, yet at time serious, presentation by Care for the Family - Rob Parsons and John Archer.   We set off from our house in a convoy of three cars (me leading) and arrived at College street Car Park in good time (about 6.30 p.m.).  It was starting to drizzle and we split into two - four went into the Central Hall and the other six of us were led by me up St. Mary's Street to "our" chippy following the announcement that some people had not had any supper. Trays of ships all round which we ate as we walked back to the Central Hall.  A really enjoyable night - again much fun and laughter.  It's been a really good day today - laughter really does make the world go round and make the sun shine even when it is drizzling!

No comments:

Post a Comment