Friday, March 28, 2014

The Causes of the Great War - at Westbury

I took Thom to the Wallops again this morning and called in at the shop on the way back to pick up a baguette for breakfast.  I had a meeting at Church house this morning with my portfolio mentor to discuss and issue I needed to identify at St. Francis's as part of my theological reflection exercise.  I was in  a panic as I could not find my car key and house keys (they later turned up at the bottom of the cavity which holds the handle for office case) and so poor Sara had to drive back home so   that we could lock the house.  I arrived 10 minutes late for my meeting with Stella although I had phoned in to say I would be 15 minutes late - manage expectations!  We had a good natter over coffee and Sara's homemade biscuits and identified two issues - the use of open prayer as a means of supporting community or the issue of the building of a Mormon Tabernacle in the middle of Old Sarum.  Stella has suggested that I reflect on both of these issues over the next couple of weeks.  The next priority is for me to complete and submit my assignment on intercessory prayer. I then did my three hour stint as chaplain, after a little essential shopping, and was so pleased to find that an elderly man who had come in off the streets last week - a kindly soft spoken gentleman who is often hard to understand with his Wiltshire burr - is now staying as a resident in his home room with us at Alabare.  He has a faith and we discussed this for a short time.  After my duty I met up with Ashley, my fellow student, at Waitrose where we had a coffee and shared a sandwich - I had had no lunch.  He invited me to a lecture tonight at Westbury all Saints Church on the cause of World War I and so, after I had been home for a short while, I drove over to Westbury for a really excellent presentation given by a former officer in the army and now churchwarden and an army lay minister.  He was absolutely brilliant.  He, apparently, is helping Ashley on his ethics portfolio and I know he will make a good impression.  Stopped off at Larkhill for a Chinese takeaway (still hungry as Thom had eaten my supper!) some of which I ate and the rest I shared with Sara on my return.  A really packed day but with some issues cleared up in my mind and an enjoyable end a very long day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment