Sunday, March 16, 2014

My first visit to St. Lawrence's


I had a strange dream last night - I dreamt that I went round to the house of a girl I had a crush on when I was 13 and met her and her mother who kept pet lemurs!  I have no idea what that dream was meant to convey to me, if anything!  I went on my own to St. Lawrence's Church at Stratford-sub-castle this morning as Sara suddenly remembered that Mary had a photo-shoot for the ballet show and she would not be able to join me at Stratford.  I arrived a little before the service was due to start with the church really filling up (there were 76 people attending at the end) because a couple who had been connected with the church for many years were celebrating their golden Wedding Anniversary and during the service (Holy Communion) had their wedding vows renewed.  Tessa preached and took the Communion and vows renewal and Ali, the ordinand acted as deacon.  One of the churchwardens I knew as a member of my lodge as well as another freemason who acted as sidesman. I was introduced to the congregation by Tessa who mentioned that I would be returning next week to preach.  I am really looking forward to it - my first time preaching in an Anglican church since January.  After the service I met up with Sara and Mary at Waitrose for a coffee and I also went into Sports Direct to purchase some new swimming goggles.  On my way back home I stopped off at Homebase where they were having a 20% sale and bought another hand mower for a very much reduced price from last year.  The one I previously bought appears to have become damaged as a result of hitting a large stone. Sara cooked an excellent roast pork lunch whilst I worked some more on my portfolio.  This evening, Sara and I went to St. Paul's with James driving us.  An interesting service with the theme of example identity - who do we hold out to be great examples of Christian life and how can we ourselves be examples to others.  Great worship music too.  A new rector has been chosen - a young family man from Woking, Craig,  who will take up his new position in the summer.  Back in Winterslow, James and I had a swift couple of drinks in the Lion's Head before returning home where I finished off my annotated bibliography for my portfolio.  Should get it finished tomorrow in time to hand it to Stella on Tuesday when I see her at alresford.

No comments:

Post a Comment