Thursday, March 27, 2014

The Tale of Three Bishops

I have the feeling that today was a very important one for me and one I will look back on with knowledge of just how important it was.  I took Thom to the Wallops today and then on to Parkwood for a session in the gym and a swim afterwards.  I had originally intended to go to Morning Office at St. Francis's but the need to drop Thom off at the later time of 9.15 a.m. meant this would not be possible.  I stayed on at Parkwood until about 10.50 a.m. and then went to see Nils at the Rectory for our pre-arranged informal meeting halfway through my placement at St. Francis's.  we brought each other up to date with what had been going on in our respective parishes and in particular in the Clarendon Team where I am still licensed. I found the meeting most helpful as it seemed to be answering one half of the prayers I have been sending up in recent weeks. I came away feeling that our hour together had been well spent. This afternoon I journeyed over to Stratford-sub-Castle to a special Evening Prayer service with all three bishops at St. Lawrence's - Bishop Nick leading.  I had an opportunity to speak with each bishop in turn.  It was a really lovely service with great refreshments and a warmth and love which seems to permeate that church.  The sun shining and the relative warmth was also conducive to the ambience of the event. Photos were taken of the St. Lawrence congregation and ministers with the bishops and it was insisted that I join in with the group photograph.  Many of the congregation thanked me for my sermon last Sunday which they had enjoyed and found thought provoking.  Because Sara and I had left quite early in order to catch the Archdeacon's sermon at St. Francis's some had not had a chance to talk to me earlier. This evening I was persuaded by Mary and her friend to take her to a gymnastic's social event at Andover.  She and her friend Izzy put on make-up so I was a bit suspicious!  It turned out to be more of a youth club style evening with about 100 youths - including lots of boys!  I think sometime they think we were born yesterday or weren't teenagers ourselves!  Our house group this evening (Lent Study) continued the theme of following the film "Touching the Void" and tonight we talked about "breaking away".  Quite an apt topic today.  There were six of us this evening - no one currently at the Clarendon Team churches.  We have two from St. Paul's, one from St. Francis and myself on placement at St. Francis and two Methodists.  Were are truly a mixed Ecumenical Group.  Everyboidy enjoyed the evening and found it extremely thought provoking - especially on the question of ethics. Today I was reminded of Genesis 11 and 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment