Saturday, March 01, 2014

Funerals

Another incredibly busy and packed day.  I was up early and off to Church House today to attend a day's study on funeral ministry - an area of church ministry which I believe will become extremely important as my general ministry develops. I left my car in Sarum College and walked round to Church House to join a number of by now very familiar lay minister colleagues.  Our tutor for today was Tom Clammer , the Cathedral Precentor, who had taken the last two Evensongs I gad attended in the cathedral.  I found him to be an excellent teacher and we learned an enormous amount about not only the theology but many of the practicalities and pastoral issues surrounding the preparations for and the taking of funeral services. I found the whole topic fascinating as did, I think, most of my colleagues.  I was therefore rather disappointed when I had to leave at 3 p.m. in order to meet up with Sara and Thom at Sarum college so that I could take Thom with me to St. Mary's Stadium for the Southampton v. Liverpool football game.  I joked to those staying behind that I was off for a "Communion with the Saints"!  I met Sara and Thom in the college bookshop and we set off in good time arriving in Southampton and being able to park at our "special place" without any particular problem. We were at the ground with about 45 minutes to go before kick-off. It was a good game although the result was very disappointing - Saints 0-3 Liverpool and we did leave a couple of minutes before the end when Liverpool were given a penalty.  Those extra couple of minutes did allow us to get clear of the ground and back to the car in good time.  I called in at John C's in Chandler's Ford to swap over cheque books and have a quick chat about dining arrangements for the lodge meeting on Wednesday.  We had some chips form the fish and chip shop where Sara had workded as a teenager and drove home across country through Ampsfield and Timsbury.  A long but enjoyable day although the subject matter of my studies and the football result might indicate otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment