Sunday, March 23, 2014

Preaching Again

A really bright day - the mornings are now quite bright and the daylight is very much extended.  I woke at 5.45 a.m. to find that the sky was already brightening.  Had quite a few weird dreams involving funerals - must be the effect of all that study on funeral ministry yesterday.  Sara and I drove over to the sweet little church at Stratford-sub-Castle.  It reminded me very much of Old Clee, Grimsby as we walked up the path.  It's in a beautiful setting right on the outskirts of the city of Salisbury. A village church right on the boundary of an urban area.  Tessa and the wardens were already there and I again experienced that feeling of warmth which seems to exude throughout the St. Francis benefice. Tessa introduced herself to Sara and they spoke for quite a while whilst I robed up in the tiny "cupboard" which serves as a vestry. The service this morning was Matins which I really enjoyed - it took me right back to my days as a chorister at Old Clee and it was interesting how I so easily could remember the BCP words for that service. I preached on "living water" and the Samaritan Woman at the Well (John 4) and the congregation appeared to like the sermon - even the little jokes/anecdotes I had added.  Sara and I stayed a short while and then zoomed off to St. Francis's where we wanted to hear the Archdeacon preach.  Quite a contrast - very lively music, a buzzing church with many children.  From robes to open-neck shirt - although the Archdeacon did retain his collar he was in jacket and trousers.  I had been fully robed at St. Lawrence's.  Sara and I had an opportunity to chat to the Archdeacon and to Penny.  It was Toby's (the worship leader) last day at St. Francis before he takes up his new job down in Cornwall and he was determined to go out with quite a loud bang.  He and Sophie (who is also the chaplain at the school where Mary attends and upon whom Mary has had occasion to call) are clearly well loved and will be missed.  Toby has been replaced and we await the arrival of Dave with great anticipation.  Back home, Thom and I watched Southampton on TV lose 3-2 to Tottenham Hotspur.  A really sad result - Saints were winning 0-2 at one time and the score was 2-2 right into injury time.  Spurs snatched victory at the very last minute - so unjustified.  Still that's football. Southampton play Newcastle (currently their great rivals) next Saturday at home.  I'm really looking forward to that game.  It will also soon be the start of the cricket season.  My membership card has been renewed and I am really looking forward to spending quite a number of hours down at the Rose Bowl.  spoke to Mum tonight - she was in very good spirits - so very pleased.  She is feeling very positive at the moment which is a good sign and realises that she is in a better situation, especially mentally, than many others. I really do feel as though God is answering prayer at the moment.  I am feeling much more "spiritually connected" than I have for a long time.   hope that isn't the wine talking - this Lent I am allowing myself a glass or two of wine on Sundays - after all, I do take communion wine then!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment