Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Lovely Trip to Alresford

I took Thom to the Wallops again today as I was unable to pick him up early this afternoon.  Sara and I went in to Parkwood early and I was unable to have my usual "gym n' swim" and had to be content just with "gym" because I had forgotten to pack my swimming shorts - added to which I couldn't find my newly bought goggles (they turned up eventually under my car seat). I finished the portfolio, printed it out and carefully collated it into its folder.  Having put it into an A4 envelope I felt as though I had really achieved something.  It's been a difficult subject/module over a difficult term but now its done. I then drove to Old Alresford Place where I was taking part, with other students, in a Durhamn University Validation process for a new regime of ministerial training - both lay and ordained. The building and setting were both beautiful - a church not dissimilar to that in Farley, the bishop's lodge and the building we were in being the Old Rectory.  A leftover from the time when the local priest held a position close to that of the Squire in villages.  I met and ate lunch with two students in their first year of STETS (ordination training at Salisbury) and handed over my portfolio to Stella.  We were all interviewed, together with students from Guildford, Winchester and Oxford dioceses by a panel from Durham University which seemed to go well. The were particularly interested in our accessibility to resources, support for "non-academic" issues and the use of placements - which they seem to endorse - each of us has been, is on or will be going on a placement. After the interview I met Bishop Jonathan (Bishop of Southampton) and our own Archdeacon (Alan) with whom I had a short chat.  I had a quick look into the Church at Old Alresford - a lovely light building inside - before driving into New Alresford for a cup of tea and a chat with the husband of Sara's mother's good friend, Mary. Peter is a Reader in the Winchester diocese and we compared notes on how things are done in the different diocese.  Mary joined us after an hour (having been on a trip to Midhurst) and we spent another hour chatting and catching up on family news.  Mary has beenc diagnosed with breast cancer, like Sara's mother, and is to visit Winchester Hospital on Friday.  I said that Sara and I would offer up our prayers for a successful consultation. Tonight, Sara and I went to St. Paul's for our last Christianity Explored session.  Next week we have been invited to the leader's house (Andy's) near the Godolphin School, Salisbury for a meal and an opportunity to share our reflections on the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment