Friday, March 14, 2014

Lost Plane; Lost Scriptures


I woke up early this morning and although I didn't have to take Thom to the Wallops I, nevertheless, decided that it would be good to get out of bed, make tea and prepare myself for the day ahead - reading my devotionals and having an early shower. Sara had a commission to do a makeover for a photo shoot with our colleague Simon for the director's of an animal insurance company in Amesbury which I gather went very successfully.   I drove into Salisbury early, also, and spent two hours in Sarum College library working on my Ethics Portfolio and managed to complete the Summative Reflection - leaving me just with the Conclusion and Annotated Bibliography still to write which I will complete this weekend. I did a three-hour stint as chaplain at Alabare Place where I met the new assistant manager, Rachel.  It was a fairly quiet few hours and my usual clients were not  in today - perhaps because the weather was much milder and the sun was shining once the fog had lifted.  The main news of today was the death of Tony Benn (an almost exact contemporary of my father's) at the age of 88 and new speculation that the Malaysian Airways Flight MH370 which disappeared some five days ago may very well have been the victim of a deliberate act as satellites recorded the plane to be flying for about 7 hours after it disappeared.  My own theory is that it was hi-jacked and flown west towards the Indian sub-continent and then either landed somewhere secretly or ran out of fuel and crashed into the Indian Ocean.  The search has now been shifted from the South China Sea to the Indian Ocean.  After picking Thom up at Stockbridge and returning home I got my bicycle out and after pumping up the tyres, went off for a 3-mile bike ride - I know not terribly adventurous - in Bentley Wood. It left me with my knees a little stiff  but it was good to get back on the bike again.  Regular bike rides together with regular visits to the Fitness Centre will, I hope, get me fitter - both physically and mentally.  Tonight, Mary stayed overnight with her friend Izzy and Sara and I watched the second and final programme in a series on Bible Hunters - archaeologists and theologians looking for missing scripts which never made it into the 66-book Holy Bible we know today.  Ironically, I bought Sara a book on this very topic from Sarum College library this morning - for 50p. She is often asking me why certain manuscripts were never inserted into the bible.  Our modern-day thirst for knowledge leads us to ask these questions and brings into question whether the heresy of Gnosticism was indeed a heresy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment