Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Taking the High Road

There was no school or college for the children today because of the national teachers' strike which meant that we were able to have a bit of a lie in this morning - which was extremely welcome.  I attended a meeting of the St. Francis's Staff Team at the Youth Lounge at St. Francis's - there being only four of us with Toby having left for his new role in Cornwall.  We reflected on Bill Hybel's passage on "Taking the High Road" - in other words when we find ourselves in adversity we should show great grace although we shouldn't treat ourselves as doormats and should have courage to say things honestly.  I see this in the words and actions of my spiritual director whom I chose because of his "graceful bluntness".  It is so easy for us to take the "low road" - blame others and act ungraciously, and so hard, at times to take the high road.  I pray that I will take the high road especially with my own discernment of my ministry.  Following my meeting at St. Francis's I spent an hour at Sarum College library - the car park looking as though a Lambeth Conference was in session which necessitated me parking in the multi-storey car park.  I also quickly visited the bank.  After my spell in the library I drove to St. Paul's and had one of the best soups ever (carrot and ginger) with a crunchy roll at SP2.  After a brief stop-off at Waitrose to deposit some glass jars and bottles for re-cycling I returned home where I mowed the back lawn and bank - absolutely back-breaking work which certainly replaced going to the gym.  Tonight I attended a meeting near the Salisbury City football ground with Penny, the Pioneer Minister and the chair of the Community Trust to learn of the issues and initiatives in the Old Sarum estate.  We chatted over coffee for about an hour and prayed afterwards.  More open prayer which is so prevalent at St. Francis's benefice.  It took me about twenty minutes to find the house which is right opposite the site of the new Mormon Tabernacle which is being built.  Another meeting which left me feeeling very spirit-filled.  It's wonderful so see so much happening in one benefice.

No comments:

Post a Comment