Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mothering Sunday and Mouldy Bananas

A bright sunny day today to accompany having to get up much earlier today due to the clocks having been put forward last night.  I didn't sleep all that well - my mind full of all sorts of things coupled with a fear of over sleeping as I had agreed to take Thom up to the shop to begin his paper round at 6 a.m. (only that is now 5 a.m.). Sara normally does this but as it is Mothering Sunday it is traditional to allow her a lie in.  After taking Thom I made us both tea and we went back to sleep.  Eventually we both awoke but the somebody had already used all the hot water (Mary) so I could only have a tepid shower - not a pleasant experience.  Sara, Mary and I went to St. Francis's this morning for the special All Age Mothering Sunday service with Paul leading and Tom preaching on mother eagles and likening them to the way God lets us try to fly and take risks but is always there to catch us.  The small children enjoyed it. After his sermon/talk we sang "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord".  Time and time again this song has appeared in worship at times when my life is about to change significantly.  It was shortly after signing this that I felt a strong call to ministry - now I am awaiting another call as to what God wants me to do now I'm admitted and licensed.   We were introduced to Dave and Emily, the new worship leaders who officially begin on Tuesday.  We also saw our old work colleague, Hilary, who was delighted to see us - this is her church.  I told her I would be leading the Palm Sunday evening service and hoped she could make that one.  We slipped away without a coffee this morning as we had to take Mary to the city Hall for the Salisbury Dance Studio bi-annual show.  Mary didn't like her costume which she likened to a  mouldy banana - I found out later that she meant a ripe banana - one with speckled black spots.  She was in a piece called "Let it Grow" dressed as a sunflower.  After parking the car at the railway station (having dropped off Sara and Mary by the City Hall) I met up with them at Boston Tea Party for drinks and a sandwich.  We met Richard's daughter, Helen, in there as she has now finished university for the Spring term. The show was magnificent - there really is some great talent at the Dance Studio.  Mary wants to do modern dance as well as ballet and I think she will be really good.  We finally ended the day with a Chinese takeaway.  I spke briefly to Mum who seems in good spirits and is seeing a pain management consultant at her GP's on Thursday.  so pleased that this is, at last happening. Learned this evening that Auntie Mim has had an operation for ovarian cancer and must send her a card tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment