Sunday, May 23, 2010

A Great Pentecostal Praise Service

Another hot day today - Britain must now officially be in the grips of a heatwave. The temperatures today are rivalling those in the Bahamas! We all went to church this morning where Linda conducted another of her excellent praise services. Being Pentecost, it was very well attended. Sara took the Junior Church and I gave the New Testament Reading today - the famous one from Acts 2 about the disciples appearing drunk as the Holy Spirit has given them the gift of speaking in tongues. The Junior Church gave each member of the congregation a colourful book mark which now sits in my pocket bible. Well done Sara for all her great work with the juniors. Well done Linda too. We had some pretty enjoyable songs including a new one from the Salvation Army - I've forgotten it's name already which is a pity (we should have had tambourines too!) - and an old favourite from the Holiday Club many years ago - Shine Shine Shine. It brought back great memories of the Light Factory Holiday Club I was involved with. I took time off work to take part. This year I shall be involved again but won't need time off work! I walked home after the service (about a mile in the hot sun). We had a typical Sunday roast lunch of chicken with white wine and ice cream (not all on the same plate!) I took Mary swimming after she had tidied up her bedroom after lunch and when we got back we watched an old Steptoe & Son film in which, topically, they acquire a suspect racing greyhound. Mary thought it hilarious - which goes to show that the old ones are still the best. After a light supper of cold meats and salad, I went to Grateley for a couple of hours and played 13 holes of golf in the cooling evening air. Roger, the professional, was cooking a barbecue for himself and his daughter when I arrived. My driving has improved enormously and I am hitting the green on the two long holes with my 5-Wood. This is rapidly becoming my favourite club as I do seem to be hitting good distances with is consistently. We it's time to tackle High Post Golf Club I think I'll use it off the tee to get me a good way down the fairway even if it does mean taking an extra shot to the green.

No comments:

Post a Comment