Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A New Government

Woke this morning to find that the country still did not have a Government and it was looking as though the Labour Party would still try and hold on to power with a pact with the Liberal Democrats - a coalition of losers as Sara put it. After the children had gone to school I walked to the village shop to get a newspaper and a get well card for one of my Brighton masonic colleagues who has recently been having treatment for a heart condition and hasn't been able to attend meetings. I wrote up yesterday's blog and dealt with some incoming mail this morning whilst Sara walked up to Morning Star to get some eggs and deliver her completed volunteers' form. After a light lunch of a couple of sandwiches I drove across to Hove where, after delivering a couple of letters, I arrived at Peter's where I am staying tonight. We had tea and discussed the current political situation as well as looking over the plans he has drawn up for the proposed extension to our house in Winterslow. He drove us in to Brighton to attend his chapter meeting at Queen's Road - Old Steine Chapter. This is a gourmet chapter where the food at the Festive Board is of a much higher standard than usual - tonight it consisted of salmon mousse, cream of celery soup, braised pork loan with Normandy sauce, asparagus, mange tout and duchess potatoes, pecan pie, cheese and biscuits with port and coffee and mints! However, I found that I needed to "sing for my supper" as I was asked (and agreed) to take the role of First Assistant Sojourner for the evening which involved me in quite a bit of floor work as the ceremony was an exaltation. In fact it was good fun as it meant that instead of just watching the ceremony, I had the opportunity to do something. That always makes the evening more interesting. When Peter and I got back this evening it was to find that David Cameron had accepted the invitation of the Queen to form a government following Gordon Brown's resignation and speedy exit from Number 10. Nick Clegg is to be Deputy Prime Minister in a Conservative/Liberal Democrat full coalition government with the Liberals holding four other cabinet posts and 20 ministerial positions. We will learn the full extent of the Government tomorrow. At long last we have a Government free of the Labour Party!

No comments:

Post a Comment