Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Day in Devon and along the Jurassic Coast

I had set the alarm for 5.30 a.m. today and it woke me up on time. I snoozed for about 10 minutes then remembered that I was going to Exeter today and needed to be at the Southgate Hotel near the cathedral in the city centre by 9.00 a.m. I made tea for Sara and me and ate a hurried marmalade sandwich. I hoisted the Devon flag before setting off for that county. The traffic was good but the weather got cloudier and cooler as I got further west. I arrived at the Southgate early and was able to park close to the reception door. I met up with Andrew N and we went across to the Employment Tribunals where I was able to agree a settlement at the door of the court with the barrister on the other side and our appearance before the Judge ended up as a relatively quick rubber stamping job. Andrew and I returned to the Southgate for a well earned cappuccino (we were very pleased with the final settlement). We discussed pensions and retirement provisions in this new world. I then went into our Exeter office just outside the city and caught up with my emails. I also learned that a new tribunal claim had been lodged in Exeter so it looks as though I'll be back again soon! I left the office at around 4.30 p.m. and took the coast road back - it is such a lovely journey along the "Jurassic Coast" and I must take Mary to Charmouth where there is an excellent fossil beach. I also crossed the Seaton Tramway and saw one the the new double decker trams (yellow in colour). Not much of a House Group tonight - only Steve. We discussed moral dilemmas for Christians and hit upon the idea of making the subject of the Group when it reconvenes "How we can lead good Christian lives" or "How should Christians live?" with the emphasis on the practicalities of showing Christian principles in our daily lives. I am sure that there is plenty of material and I'll have a look in the Sarum Bookshop next week. Have started the packing for my trip to Grimsby tomorrow. Will finish it off tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment