Saturday, August 15, 2009

An August Saturday at Thorpe Park

Today was the big day for taking Tom and his two friends to Thorpe Park as a belated birthday treat. His friends Robert and James both arrived well before 9.00 a.m. and we set off around 9.30 a.m. arriving at a very full car park at the amusement park at around 11 a.m. It took us about 20 minutes to get through the entrance gates where I discovered that my ticket would cost an astronomical £35! The lads got in free thanks to some coupons Sara had managed to get from Tesco loyalty points otherwise it would have cost me £115! (with a family ticket too). Once inside we headed for the Tidal Wave bridge and then on to The Stealth - an enormous roller-coaster type ride which resembles the London Eye but the car travels and twists on the outside! Faint heart never won fair lady but as there were no fair ladies to win I opted for the faint heart and sat down with my DS Suduko puzzles whilst the lads queued for 40 minutes for the 30-second ride! After that we had a KFC bargain bucket whilst watching the Tidal Wave. After lunch the lads went on the Nemesis paying a £3 supplement to avoid the 75 minute queue! We all went on the Logger the Tidal Wave and the X One Way Out (all taking about an hour to queue) after which I was feeling a little queasy and left them to go on a further nasty-looking vomit producing ride whilst I was typically British and had a nice (sort of) cup of tea. For the record I got wet on the Logger, got absolutely soaked on the Tidal Wave and spent five (as it seemed) terrifying minutes going backwards in the dark on a devilish roller coaster called X One Way Out. We left at around 7 p.m. arriving back in Winterslow at 8.40 p.m. After a short time with the family I joined the two Richards, Klynn, Ben and Jeremy the Lion's Head for a drink. Jeremy felt I had four things to be optimistic about for the day - 1. it hadn't rained, 2. I brought all the boys back in one piece, 3. they had a great day out and 4. It will be Sara's turn next time to go to Thorpe Park. I can think of better ways of spending £35 than being made to feel ill. The night down at the pub ended a very long day and it was an opportunity to say "a bientot" to Richard B.

No comments:

Post a Comment