Friday, August 14, 2009

Voices

It was good to finish the last working day of the week in Salisbury. It seemed very quiet in the office today with so many people clearly on holiday. Started the morning with a "skinny latte" and a cheese scone - taking me back to my days at the Corporation of London when the voice of the French trolley lady - whose name now escapes me - would sing out "Uuuurrrn" in a strong French accent as she wheeled it along the along the corridor; the wheels of industry coming to a grinding halt as we all queued up for our coffee from the "Urn" and a thick buttered cheese scone. I can still taste them now some 27 years later! It was no good trying to ring any of the Corporation's officers when the coffee and tea urns were on patrol. If you did miss the urn because you were taking a phone call then it often meant a wander around the Guildhall until you found her by which time the buttered scones would be depleted or departed! Before returning home tonight I called in on the Mercedes garage for them to check my tyres and reset the computer warning system. The air in one tyre was a little down but nothing to worry about. Back home I tidied up the kitchen and got out two sets of golf clubs for Richard B and me to play golf down at Grateley. Sara and the children returned home from Intech in Winchester where they had had a great day visiting the planetarium and other exhibitions (including one on bees) and were full of excitement. Richard and I spent a very pleasant two and a half hours on the course and completed 17 holes - the bad light defeating us in the end. We returned back home via Porton where we bought a Chinese takeaway. Sara, Richard and I had supper together at home before he left at around 11 p.m. I then wrote this blog whilst Sara watched TV. Tom had put together an excellent video presentation to the music of "I heard the Voice of Jesus Say" which was really well done. I think we should get it used at a church service soon. This is the sort of thing which will encourage the youngsters to become more involved in church life.

No comments:

Post a Comment