Friday, August 28, 2009

Along the Fosse Way to Lincolnshire

A varied day today. Went into the office in Salisbury first thing and worked through until 1 p.m. apart from a quick trip to the bank to pay some money in! Beginning of the month and all that! Attended the Christian Union meeting where we studied Philippians 3. In fact the whole of this Epistle would be a really good one for us to study at House Group as it really does deal with the issue of how we should live our ordinary lives as Christians - how we can show we are Christians to the outside world and display the standards which we aspire to have. After the meting I tidied up and went home having decided to take the afternoon off as holiday. Sara returned home at around 3 p.m. telling me of the problems which she had had with the bank over a payment she had made to the Canadian provider of Club Penguin an Internet club which Mary had subscribed to. This small payment to a Canadian company had alerted the bank's fraud squad! Her card had been blocked and this then caused difficulties over a payment of a new cooker she is purchasing in the UK! I guess we should be grateful for the high level of security displayed by the bank but the need to phone people in, yes you've guessed - India, just adds to the stress. The bank had old phone numbers too which made it impossible for them to phone and let Sara know in advance. Having got that sorted out I then finished my packing for my trip to Swindon and Grimsby. I left home at around 4.00 p.m. and got to my masonic meeting in Swindon at 5.15 p.m. There, as a Provincial Grand Officer, I was not required inside the lodge until around 5.45 p.m. so my fear of being late because of heavy traffic around the M4 was unnecessary. The meeting went slower than anticipated and I decided to leave before the lectures but after the full installation. As I retired tonight as the Senior Deacon, I had no more duties to perform so sneaked off and was on the road to Lincolnshire by 7.30 p.m. - indeed I was in Stow-on-the-Wold by 8.10 p.m. I had a good journey up along the Fosse Way via Warwick, Coventry, Leicester, Newark, Lincoln and finally Grimsby, arriving at my mother's at 11.30 p.m. Mum and I had a coffee and whisky and chatted until 1.30 a.m. Tomorrow, I'm off to see the Mariners play Aldershot at Blundell Park and as I write this up, I have just got my ticket in the Findus Stand - yes the John Smith's Stand has reverted to its original name. In view of the low attendances of late it is an appropriate name being nicknamed the "Find Us" stand by the opposing fans. Must also pick up my Lotto winnings too on Saturday - £2!! Well its better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment