Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Meteoric

I worked in Salisbury again today mainly dealing with agreements and draft presentations. A really hot day reaching 32.5 degrees Celsius by the afternoon. We learned this morning that a deal had been struck for our Company to merge (a euphemism it seems for a takeover) with a consolidator. This will still need the approval of shareholders and regulators but is pretty much a foregone conclusion I suspect. It has been long expected so nobody seemed to be in the least bit surprised or worried. It can only really mean good news long term. Tonight Tom and I went to St. Mary's to see Saints play Northampton in Round 1 of the League Cup. A 2-0 win was recorded and a debut goal for our new striker, Rickie Lambert. All three new signing, Lambert, Harding and Murty, played well and I have a good feeling about the season ahead. A meteoric rise I hope. Talking about meteors, tonight we were promised a good show from the annual Perseid Meteor Shower. On our way back from Southampton, Tom and I stopped off at East Tytherley in the drive of friends of ours to view the night sky. We were treated to a really bright streaking meteor but after that only a few dimmer smaller ones before the waning Moon rose to wash out the rest. The Moon certainly does not help a good show this year. Sara and I watched an interesting drama documentary on the Omagh Bombing from the point of view of the victims and their families. Many unanswered questions remain. Having visited Omagh on one of my trips to Northern Ireland I was struck by how much it is an ordinary small market town just like Salisbury and how much death and destruction was caused to innocent shoppers that Saturday eleven years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment