Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Morning in Cleethorpes

I had a lovely lie in this morning after a late night watching Hornblower yesterday. Mum provided a breakfast of cereal and toast with fresh coffee. She later asked me to have a look in the loft to see if there was much stuff up there and I discovered a small hole in the roof which will need patching. I dropped in on Aunt Mim and Harry J in Cleethorpes and got a lovely welcome as usual. Mim made us coffee and Harry J joined us a little later having travelled by bus from Isaac's Hill. We chatted about the match and Sara's new life following retirement. Harry J confirmed that the Titan's factory had now closed after over 50 years. no longer will the white plume of smoke trail over Grimsby. A landmark gone although I suspect the plumeless chimney itself will remain for some time as it is used as a landmark for shipping. Both Mim and Harry looked really well but Harry still has problems with his right hand following surgery. I stopped off at Tesco's on the way back to Mum's and bought her some flowers and a couple of Sunday newspapers. Lunch was chicken casserole with mushrooms, potatoes and cabbage - very tasty, followed by strawberries and "sticky milk". I said my goodbyes and set off back for Winterlsow at just after 2 p.m. returning via the M180 and M1. The traffic was quite light but there are so many roadworks with speed restrictions which meant I didn't get back until 7 p.m. - a 5 hour journey which is reasonable but certainly not the shortest time. After a cup of tea and a brief chat with the family to hand over their presents (Mary's vacuum cleaner didn't work and will have to go back to Grimsby) it was down to the Lion's Head for the Pub Quiz. There were five of us and so we split into two teams - Klynn and Chris in one team, and me, Jeremy and Richard in the other. We ended up coming fourth and Klynn's team sixth. The winners this month being Max Buttimer, Cynthia's son and his team "Four at the Bar". Sara and I chatted for a while (I also updated my blog site) before turning in at around 1 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment