Friday, August 07, 2009

Trip to Henley; Trouble at Headingley

The alarm I set went off as planned at 5.30 a.m. but I dozed for another 40 minutes or so. Eventually I pulled the covers off me and set about having my shower and making tea. I removed the Jamaican flag from the pole having left it flying overnight in the hopes of it drying after the torrential rain of yesterday. It was dry and so I put it away in its box. No flag replaced it. I set off for Dorking arriving in time for my meeting in HR at 9.15 a.m. This was followed by another meeting at 12 noon which proved to be very successful. I lunched with Michael E-J as otherwise he would have lunched alone - David is in France, Joanna in London, and Anthony back home in Salisbury. This afternoon I left early at 3.45 p.m. to drive up to Henley-on-Thames to deliver some important legal papers to our barrister - another Michael. It was an horrendous journey with traffic heavy on the M25 I detoured through Chobham and then to Bagshot. The roads around West End and Bagshot were just awful. My journey took me through Bracknell, Wokingham, Twyford and eventually Henley where the roads were log-jammed trying to cross the main Thames Bridge by the Regatta Ground. I eventually got to Michael's at around 6.10 p.m. I stayed with Michael for about 40 minute and Denise made coffee whilst we chatted about the case and Michael's pending trip to the Cayman Islands via Nassau. We talked about the Bahamas and holidays in general. The traffic seemed much better as I left and drove through Reading, Tilehurst, Newbury and back home. Tonight Sara and I watched Ocean's Twelve which I found a difficult film to follow until the end but I can't say I rate it very highly despite the star-studded cast. There is a very strange bit where Julia Roberts pretends to be Julia Roberts! Not sure I'll worry too much if I miss Ocean's Thirteen. Finally, England got a pasting in the fourth test at Headingly today - all out for 102!! Australia's reply at "stumps" was 196 for 4 - 94 runs in the lead. At the present rate a win for Australia seems on the cards meaning it will all be on the last test at The Oval. Australia would then only need a draw to retain The Ashes. Ah well - football tomorrow as Saints begin their "League 1 Tour"!

No comments:

Post a Comment