Sunday, August 23, 2009

England regain The Ashes

A great day today for English sport - our cricketers have regained The Ashes and restored confidence in English cricket. Another packed day today. Tom and I went to church this morning - 9.30 a.m. Morning Worship officiated by Bill T who was "substituting" for Cynthia who is currently unwell. The hymns would have appealed at a Funeral Service and were not altogether appropriate in my view to a lighter Morning Worship service. Bill gave an interesting sermon but there were only 22 people in the congregation to listen to it. The service only lasted 40 minutes which seemed to please Tom. After the service, Tom walked home whilst I stayed behind for a quick coffee and an natter with a few people and to arrange a game of golf with Richard. Once home, Tom did quite a number of domestic chores - which he did very well - and I did some gardening - principally mowing the two inside lawns. Lunch was spaghetti hoops for Tom and toast and peanut butter for me. I met Richard up at Wilton Golf Course and we managed to play 18 holes - reasonably well too - our trips to Grateley have certainly helped improve our game. Whilst driving into Salisbury I phoned Mum for a quick chat - she was preparing a late lunch for herself of roast chicken - and also heard that England had run out two further Aussie batsmen - one of whom was Ponting. Later, whilst on the course I spoke to Sara on the phone who gave me the great news that Australia were all out and that England had won The Ashes. Yipeeee!! What a series it has been! After our game I stopped by at Anthony's and picked him up to bring him back home for a BBQ and then to the Lion's Head. Once home I hoisted the Australian flag below the English one to show that England had won the cricket. We ate chicken, chicken drumsticks, prawns and sausages with corn on the cob and new potatoes. Lovely, although the prawns did get a bit overcooked. Geoff could not join us in the Lion's Head tonight but Chris, Richard and Klynn did and we stayed and chatted (largely about makes of aeroplane) over a couple of pints of beer until around 10.30 p.m. Anton thinks I should keep the two flags (England and Australia) flying tomorrow. Perhaps I will. Anthony is staying in the Family Room tonight and will journey up with me to Dorking tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment