Monday, August 24, 2009

Dorking - "The Land of Lego"

In Dorking again today - but probably my only day there this week. Awoke just before 7 a.m., made tea, showered and got myself some strawberry crisp cereal. Anthony woke early too and made himself a weak tea. We left at just before 8 a.m. and arrived at the Dorking office at just before 9.30 a.m. I spent the morning dealing with a few emails and tidying up post received last week. At lunchtime, I got myself an egg mayonnaise and cress roll and a takeaway mushroom soup. Having eaten these at my desk I drove over to Denbies' Vineyard and walked up through the vines (Chardonnay predominantly - no Alan Rickman around either!) ) to where James May of Top Gear fame is building a real life size house (which he will live in for one weekend) out of ordinary Lego bricks. It was a hot dusty walk up through the vines and after seeing James and his colleagues working on the hose I treated myself to a home made ice cream back at Denbies' main building. It was fascinating to see how he was building the house - using large bricks pre-made at the weekend by over 1,200 members of the public who put them together from the tidy ordinary bricks! James anticipates completing the house in 3-4 weeks. The views from the top of the Mole Valley were stunning. More work when I got back this afternoon. It was announced that another 22 people are retiring as a result of all the changes. I spoke to our good friend Peter M in Hove who has promised to come over within the month and fit new mirrored doors to the wardrobe in the Family Room. We will not do anything about the wardrobe doors in the children's rooms at the moment as they may very well be ripped out if we go ahead with our possible extension. On the way home this evening I called in at Roger's in Grateley and hit a basketful of balls on his golf driving range and practised a little putting. Both driving and putting seemed much improved over yesterday afternoon. Must keep my eye and swing in over the winter this year. When got home I found that the we were in the middle of an extensive power cut. The children couldn't watch TV or play with their games consoles. The electricity came back on in about 45 minutes, went off again and now, as I type these notes up, it has been on for a couple of hours. Sara has spent the evening making a claim against the pig man who let us down so badly on the day of her birthday celebration. We should make a full recovery but he really ought to be brought to justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment