Monday, August 03, 2009

Day of the Jackel.. sorry Dog!!

I woke reasonably early this morning but then fell back into a slumber and didn't get up properly until 7.20 a.m. Fortunately I was working in Salisbury again today and got into the office at around 8.15 a.m. I set about work immediately dealing with a problem with one of our staff whom we had dismissed last week. At lunchtime I went out briefly to Tesco's where I bought a meal deal for £2 - chicken sandwich on brown wholemeal bread, bacon flavoured crisps and a bottle of orange juice. Much better value than what our own now unsubsidised restaurant can offer. I joined the Christian Fellowship Group where we discussed Paul's letter to the Philippians and in particular Paul's plea for righteousness through Christ rather than self righteousness. In it Paul talks about "watch[ing] out for those dogs...that will do evil, those mutilators of flesh". It left me with more questions and puzzles than I started with. Must read the book/letter right through. Another meeting this afternoon and I was ready to leave at 5 p.m. Sara has spent the day dog walking, apparently for friends in the village. Thankfully her experiences have left her with the clear view that she/the children don't want a dog! Th first dog she walked led her into unfamiliar woods and a longer walk than expected and the second one is rather wilful. Whilst I don't mind other peoples' dogs I am definitely not a doggy person and, as with horses, I am quite happy for them to remain other's pets. They seem so much of a tie. When I arrived home Sara and Mary were off to walk the Alibocus dog, Otis. I checked my emails and then went off to Grateley to practise some golf on the par three course there. I wasn't too happy with my performance tonight shooting a 42 - one shot worse than at the larger Wilton Course and three shots worse than last time I went out on the course. Still it was a lovely dry cool summer's evening that is until I reached the last (9th) green when it started to drizzle. The peace on the golf course was only punctuated by the barking of Roger's black Labrador dog in its shed by the 6th green. Arriving home Sara had prepared stir fried Thai pork a la Forest Mere which was delicious. We washed it down with a white zinfandel wine from California. Tonight I dug out my recording of Berlioz's Messe Solemnelle after listening to some Berlioz on the radio on the way back from Grateley. I've always found Berlioz's music so uplifting. To bed soon and back to Salisbury again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment