Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Bare Essentials - Sunflowers at the Mayflower

Today was a complete contrast to yesterday - the sun was shining and the sky was clear bright blue. Sara went off to Morning Star leaving me to clear and tidying up. I went into the Wallops and bought some petrol for the mower meeting my old Geordie garage hand friend serving - he used to be behind the counter at Lopcombe Corner when I filled up with fuel on my way to Dorking and I wondered what had happened to him when the garage there closed . Returning home I managed to cut both inner lawns before it started to get too dark - I'll cut the bank tomorrow. Mary and I did some BB Gun shooting in the garden afterwards until Sophie C arrived to look after the children while Sara and I went to Southampton's Mayflower Theatre to see a stage production of Calendar Girls. We arrived in very good time (I had to pick up my duplicate tickets following my loss of the originals - I still don't know where they are) and parked a few hundred yards from the theatre. I felt quite out of place at first as the theatre filled with hundreds and hundreds of middle-aged women with only a few "dirty old men" (as Sara described us) dotted around. The volume of the chatter was incredible and most women appear to have come in groups together with large tins or boxes of chocolates. I guess the Hampshire population of the WI were there! The production had a star-studded cast included Lynda Bellingham, Michelle Collins, Jan Harvey, Ruth Madoc, Mikyla Dodd and June Watson - all famous names of screen and stage. It was a tremendous production having me laughing aloud and crying silently in places throughout. Although I have seen the film a couple of times the stage production lost none of the message and depth of feeling - in fact it may have enhanced it. You felt you were really with the girls. Their cause in raising money was to fight leukemia - "a shitty disease" as Chris (Lynda Bellingham) described it. With my own father having died of that "shitty disease" I felt a great affinity. This week I have been able to laugh and cry at two events already. A wonderful evening. Sara is now seriously thinking of doing a similar calendar for breast cancer with the owmen of the village. Good on her if she succeeds. I'll support her all the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment