Monday, November 22, 2010

Endurance

A day at home today. The weather was pretty miserable again with light drizzle on and off all day. No "Ben-walking" today either as his owner has relatives staying this week who will walk him instead. Sara spent (endured?) the day ironing and finished off all the clothes in the dining room. I set about dealing with some correspondence and bills - they seem to keep coming in! Sara went to lunch with some of her village friends not returning until quite late in the afternoon. I picked up Mary from school after her netball practice and we sat and watched some more re-runs of On the Buses and the Good Life together. Tonight we all sat down to watch the four-part serial about Sir Ernest Shackleton's Endurance expedition of 1914-1917. Mary has been learning about it in school and was delighted to see my photographic collection of pictures taken by Frank Hurley which I have in an expensive book I bought at the Lacock Photographic Museum many years ago. The casting for the series (with Kenneth Branagh as Sir Ernest) is remarkable and Mary could identify many of the characters from the book. Tom showed little interest in the programme preferring to watch The Gadget Show upstairs. Mary's knowledge of and enthusiasm for the Endurance reminded me of my own fascination for the Scott polar expedition of 1911/1912 when I read all I could get my hands on about it at her age. I would still love to go to Antarctica is the chance arose.

No comments:

Post a Comment