Monday, November 08, 2010

Seriously Funny with Jeff Lucas and Adrian Plass

It was difficult to get up this morning after a disturbed night last night and with still feeling jet-lagged. I made a start on going through the mountain of mail which had come in and paying off any bills which needed immediate attention. I also rang both the Seriously Funny organisers and the Mayflower Theatre and made sure that the loss of my tickets for both venues would not prevent me from attending. Both confirmed there wouldn't be a problem with Seriously Funny asking me to make myself known to the chief organiser when I arrived and the Mayflower printing fresh tickets for me to collect on Wednesday night. Richard called for me at 5.45 p.m. and he, I, Linda and Rosemary set off for Chichester to see Jeff Lucas and Adrian Plass with Nikki Rogers at The Venue, Revelation Church. Revelation Church is situated on an industrial estate and resembles the typical light industrial unit - a massive open space with adjacent offices and rooms. We parked in Booker's Cash Carry. All together there must have been about 500-600 present. This is clearly an active evangelical charismatic mega church. Wine, beer and soft drinks were available as was a stall for the charity Toybox (relief for street children of Latin America) and a bookstall selling works by Jeff and Adrian. Nikki Rogers, and young singer songwriter opened the evening with a couple of lovely songs from her latest album and then Jeff and Adrian appeared on stage. There then followed two hours of anecdotes, poetry, readings, questions and answers - many of the dialogues incredibly funny but with some wonderful morale teachings. I guess that you could call many of the stories modern parables. My favourite quote of the evening was one of Adrian's - "Your children don't need a good father - they need YOU". In recent days I have felt my faith drifting somewhat and feeling that I am not very good at any thing. Adrian reminded us all at the end of the evening - "God likes and uses broken people and those who don't appear to be any good - after all he chose Paul to be the greatest apostle and his antecedents were hardly those to be expected. Thanks Adrian, I came away feeling like I had received a wonderful tonic and realise I must get priorities right. I wouldn't have missed this evening for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment