Saturday, November 27, 2010

Football Crazy

The alarm went off early again today reminding me that I had a full day of football ahead. I made tea and hoisted the Saints flag as Southampton FC are playing Cheltenham today in the Second Round of the FA Cup. I also cooked breakfast for Tom and me - bacon, beans and scrambled egg. No further snow fell last night and there is just a sprinkling on the road outside the house and in our drive. Both of our cars were left on the road in case of problems this morning. Tom was playing near Romsey today and so it was thought best to take all we needed for his match and for the Saints match this afternoon so that we would not have to come back to Winterslow. We met up with the parents and other players at the Hilltop Grill as usual and once more I was nominated to lead the convoy because I had a satnav and drove at a reasonable pace for followers. I warned Gary that I had no idea where we were going so would be relying solely on the satnav. He assured me that the address was clear and we would find the football field easily. We drove through some very pretty countryside and along some narrow lanes until we reached the point where the satnav declares "You have reached your destination". On this occasion it was a farm with the same name as the sports field - but no sports field. Eventually one of the other parents advised me that his satnav had done the same thing on a previous occasion and that we would find the sports field on the main road - which we did! Tom went off with his team mates and came back 15 minutes later to say the match was postponed! We therefore headed back home to confront a pile of logs which had been dumped in the drive. Tom, Mary and I (but mostly "I") spent the next hour stacking them in readiness for their use over the winter months. Tom and I set off for Southampton at around 12.45 p.m. and were parked at College St. by 1.30 p.m. - our usual time. There was very little traffic about and the wind was bitingly cold. We visited our chippie and I had fishcake and chips (17 points). We took our seats in the Chapel Stand behind the goal in freezing temperatures and I was so glad to have my new coat and trapper's hat. Saints executed an easy 3-0 win over Cheltenham to secure themselves a place in the 3rd Round. The draw is tomorrow. At is so cold at the moment but thankfully, no snow yet. I shall sleep like one of our logs tonight. I have enough points left today for a little whisky too!

No comments:

Post a Comment