Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Another Diem Horribilem - An Unexpected Day in Grimsby

It was the sixth anniversary of Dad's death today - so the day of the week co-incided with that event.  My plan had been to leave at 10 a.m. to be back in Salisbury in good time to attend the Dedication of the new Provincial Grand Lodge of Wiltshire Banner - a rare event which will not happen again in my lifetime.  I was to take part in the ceremony as Senior Deacon and had also booked my dinner place.  I woke up to hear Mum at the bottom of the stairs crying that she was so ill that she couldn't even think about attending an appointment at the hospital today with the rheumatologist as she was so unwell.  She cancelled the appointment and arranged for the local doctor to call on her this afternoon.  She was complaining of acute pains and lethargy.  I agreed to stay with her.  She bucked up a bit and then cooked me breakfast saying she was feeling a lot better.  She cancelled the doctor's visit and then made another appoint,ment to visit the doctor later this afternoon.  I spoke with my sister who was unable to come over today but said she could tomorrow.  She was already planning to come over on Saturday anyway.  I went to McDonald's with my netbook in order to access the Internet on their free wi-fi (which I did) and make arrangements for somebody else to attend tonight's meeting in my place - there was absolutely no way that I was going to get back to Salisbury in time.  I also downloaded some fresh instructions from a client so that I could draft a document today - I had promised the client I would look at it tomorrow but tomorrow is now going to be taken up with travelling back to Wiltshire.  After a light lunch I drove Mum out to Conisholme to have an Appleby's ice cream and she seemed to be much brighter indeed.  She visited the doctor who said all her recent blood tests etc. were clear and nothing seemed to be wrong except that her hiatus hernia (an old complaint) might have blown up again and she had increased blood pressure.  Tonight she cooked pork chops and I drafted the agreement for my clients.  I stayed up late tonight watching the comedy movie, Micky Blue Eyes. In my snatches of communications with Sara I learned that the roof was now off the garage and the scaffolding had been erected.  Also, the oil tank had been emptied, refilled and the valve was working properly again.  Not really the day I planned today.

No comments:

Post a Comment