Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Day in Southampton

Up early again this morning to take Adam to Southampton Solent University where he was attending a three-hour seminar as part of his Open University course. We arrived in Southampton just after 9 a.m. and parked at Trethowan's office just off The Avenue. It was a fifteen minute walk from there to the University Building where we had a coffee in the coffee shop overlooking the Guildhall Square. I hadn't been down in that part of Southampton for a long time and was impressed by the way that the Guildhall facade had been opened up onto a square - very similar to that in Portsmouth. It really has opened up the Guildhall vista and made something of a campus for the new Solent University (the old Southampton Institute). After Adam left for his seminar I stayed on in the coffee shop and wrote up the last two day's blog on my netbook - unfortunately I was unable to post it as the public Internet link wasn't working. After finishing my work and coffee I strolled down to Mayflower Park and took the above photograph of the Independence of the Seas - the largest ocean liner ever to grace Southampton Water - and I must confess treated myself to an ice cream. It was very pleasant to wander around the old town and shops before returning to Solent University. Adam was pleased with the way his seminar had gone and we then strolled back to Bargate where we ate a lunch of baguettes and soft drinks. We also visited Sports World where I bought another tennis racket, some more balls and a good pair of walking shoes. Adam bought some tee-shirts. We listened to the FA Cup Final and the car radio on the way back - Manchester City beating Stoke City by 1-0. This evening, Manchester United drew against Blackburn Rovers to claim the Premier League title for a record nineteen times - ousting that record from Liverpool. I only hope that Liverpool can back a great comeback next season under Kenny Dalglish. I went to bed quite early tonight leaving Adam and Sara downstairs to watch the Eurovision Song Contest and Match of the Day. I had walked about eight miles today and was feeling quite tired so treated myself to a nice hot bath before going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment