Friday, May 20, 2011

With UCB in London

Up early this morning to catch the train up to London to attend a lunch at The Rubens Hotel being hosted by UK - the producers of TV, Radio and Word for the Day.  I wasn't entirely sure why I had been chosen to attend this rather small intimate gathering and so was curious to find out - besides a trip up to London is usually an enjoyable experience.  I caught the 8.57 a.m. train from Grateley - the first train  one can catch to take advantage of the off-peak fare rate.  Mt train arrived at Waterloo at around 10.20 a.m. and I walked to The Hub at Church.Co.UK where I knew I could enjoy a decent cup of coffee at a reasonable price and sit and read my Rob Parson's book "Teenagers" in a cosy quiet environment. I also made a few phone calls and dealt with some emails - one in particular was an email from my previous colleague at FP who was wanting me to provide a short testimonial for the leaving presentation she was giving to our secretary, Karen.  I was more than delighted to do this.  At around 11.30 a.m. I walked from The Hub over Westminster Bridge and along Victoria Street, passing the Houses of Parliament and Westminster Abbey in the process, to Westminster Cathedral where I spent a short time in prayer and lit two candles - one in memory of Dad and Gillian (Sara's Mum) and the other as a prayer for all the living members of our families especially Sara, Mum, Mary and Tom.  I arrived at The Rubens at 12.30 p.m. and was introduced to the Chief Executive, David L'Herroux, Carl Brettle, Director of Mission and Ruth Irwin, Director of Strategic Partnerships for UCB Media.  We were joined by Sir Euan Calthorpe of Calthorpe Estates, David and Rosemary Bell (David in Managing Director of JCB, the earth moving company) and Robert Hawker of Robert Hawker Associates - surveyors.  Quite a select and intimate gathering as I said earlier.   UCB gave is a short presentation on their company and also their plans in partnership with the  More than Gold initiative for the 2012 Olympics. Click on the link :  http://www.morethangold.org.uk/  which explains that initiative.  Lunch consisted of lamb noisettes with diced vegetables and potato cake followed by a very rich creamy dish like creme brulee without the brulee but with fruits of the forest on the top - all contained in a large wine glass.  A lovely red wine accompanied the dish.  The conversation was fascinating and stimulating and UCB's presentations very inspiring.  A common thread was that those around the table had all been involved with Alpha or HTB (Holy Trinity Brompton) at some time or another. I was also invited to visit UCB and tour their radio and TV studios in Stoke-on-Trent.   I walked back along Victoria Street stopping off at Westminster Cathedral again to but Sara a small LPA Commissioning present (a cross necklace) and I was back on the 3.50 p.m. train to Grateley arriving home at around 5.30 p.m.  We were all feeling rather tired tonight.  I went up to bed reasonably early but Sara didn't come to bed until the early hours of the morning - apparently she had fallen asleep on the sofa.  A lovely day today and the trip to London made a very interesting and enjoyable change - although I wouldn't want to do it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment