Thursday, July 29, 2010

Breaking a Paddler and Breaking my Heart

Mum made me a good English breakfast this morning - bacon, beans and egg with orange juice and tea. I packed up the car which was again being showered by dust from the road-building which seems to have reached a new peak of noise and dust. I left Mum's at around 10 a.m. having programmed in some telephone numbers into her new land-line phone unit. On my way out of Grimsby I stopped to take some pictures of the old Humber paddler, Lincoln Castle, which I was told was being broken up in Grimsby's Alexandra Dock. I was appalled that such a piece of Grimsby's maritime history was being so cruelly and cheaply destroyed. As I took many (never to be repeated) photos of the ship I loved so much and which I had travelled on many times on exciting trips to Hull, I could hear and see the wielding of a sledge hammer as the bridge was being smashed ("dismantled" is too gentle a term for what I saw being done). Criminal is the only word for it!" I have posted one of the lesser distressing photos of her demise but will put the rest on Facebook. I arrived home at around 4 p.m. having stopped off at Warwick for coffee and snacks and again at Andover Garden Centre to buy Sara a rose bush for the garden. Sara was very poorly when I got back - she has been suffering from a severe headache all day and was feeling very tired. I made the children their tea (fish and chips) and then led the House Group this evening whilst Sara went to bed. I hope she is feeling better in the morning. I have to be up early for Ambassadors and then I am travelling to Reading on the train for lunch with my barrister friend, Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment