Sunday, July 25, 2010

With family in Yorkshire

I was woken this morning by the sound of an Argos lorry with an extremely loud reversing warning horn and “voice” trying to back down Carr Lane to either deliver something or having got lost. This was about 7.30 a.m. which seemed to be a ridiculous time to be delivering anything on a Saturday morning! I showered after Mum had brought in a welcome mug of tea and we had a breakfast of scrambled eggs (from Morning Star) and toast and coffee. Over breakfast Mum said that if we had got up earlier we could have gone over to see my sister and family in York. I thought that Heather was flying out to Rhodes today but, evidently, is not going until Wednesday. It was not yet 10 a.m. and the journey taking only an hour and a half I suggested that Mum ring Heather and found out whether she would be free to see us today. Within three quarters of an hour we were on our way with my golf clubs in the back of the car as my nine-year old nephew, James, was a keen golfer who was currently having lessons at a local golf centre. We had agreed, over the telephone, to play nine holes this afternoon. Heather made is very welcome and after a light lunch we drove to the golf course. James actually beat me on the first hole and he will certainly be a very good golfer when he gets a bit older and after a few more lessons. He certainly gave me a decent game. I won the “match” 6.5 to 2.5 but I have no doubt that it won’t be long before he can “whip” me. After the game, we all (including Mum) played a round of putting. We stayed for dinner (spaghetti bolognaise) and for the lottey results – needless to say none of us is now a millionaire – and I showed the children how to find the “Bollywood” movies on the Skybox in the International category. Needless to say, I am now being blamed for their peculiar behaviour – as we drove off they were both doing “Bollywood” dancing on the front lawn to their own vocals! James was particular keen to watch some of the bizarre films including an Indian singing and swaying along in a jeep and two Sikhs who looked like an Asian version of the Chuckle Brothers. It was raining as we drove home arriving back at around 10.45 p.m. – a twelve hour day out. Mum was thrilled and clearly had a lovely day. I really enjoyed spending time with my nephew and playing golf. We finished the day with some cheese and wine and after reading a few pages of my book, Sink the Belgrano, finally went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment