Sunday, July 25, 2010

Trolleybuses Galore

Mum’s “cock-crowing” alarm clock woke me up again early. After reading my devotionals and a little more of my “Belgrano” book I had tea and a shower. Mum cooked an excellent breakfast of Grimsby Smoked Haddock. I left her at about 11 a.m. and stopped off at Ramsden’s to get a couple of birthday cards for James so that he will have the cards to open whilst on holiday in Rhodes. I wrote the cards inside Ramsden’s and posted them at the Grimsby Sorting Office hoping that they would be collected early tomorrow. I then drove to Sandtoft passing the paddle steamer Lincoln Castle, the former Humber ferry, which is in a deplorable state. Apparently, there is no money to preserve and restore it and plans are for it to be scrapped with only the reciprocating steam engine being saved. I arrived at Sandtoft Transport Centre at around 12.30 p.m. and spent the afternoon chatting with old friends, riding on Glasgow TB78 and taking numerous photos. I also rode on Doncaster 22, an old AEC Regal, around the Isle of Axholme. I had wanted to ride on Cardiff 203 but the crowds were too numerous and I am sure the opportunity will arise again. I was pleased to see it in a fantastic condition. No further work seems to have been done on the two Cleethorpes trolleys unfortunately and Bradford 844 and 847 look as though they await the scrapman. I had the opportunity to have a long chat with J. Stanley King, Bradford author and politician, who has now retired from politics. I drove back to Grimsby via Epworth, Scunthorpe and Barton-upon-Humber (having a look at Jonno’s mudbanks) arriving back in Grimsby at 6.30 p.m. We had dinner of pork chops, broad beans (from Morning Star) and runner beans from the garden. It seemed stifling hot – very close – this evening. I had hoped to “Skype” Sara but although I got an Internet connection this morning, I could not connect this evening. We watched a TV programme this evening about Holmefirth (home of Last of the Summer /wine) and “Coast” about Isle of Man and Anglesey.

No comments:

Post a Comment