Friday, July 30, 2010

A lovely day in Henley-on-Thames

Today was one of those days which you like to replay in your mind as being really enjoyable. It didn't start brilliantly though as I got up early to go to the Grasmere Hotel for the Ambassador's meeting to find that it was next week! Somehow, with being away in Lincolnshire I had miscounted the weeks! The journey wasn't entirely wasted, however, as I was able to deliver a Vie product to one of Sara's clients living close to the hotel. Sara dropped me off at Grateley Station just before 11 a.m. for me to catch a train to Reading to meet up with my old friend and legal colleague, the barrister Michael R. My train arrived in Reading on time to the second by Michael was delayed picking me up by the appalling traffic around Reading Stations (yes it is a plural as there are, technically, two stations combined - the old GWR and the old LSWR ones). Michael eventually picked me up about 25 minutes after my arrival and whisked me off to his home in Henley-on-Thames where I briefly met Denise before we strolled down to his "local" the Bird in Hand for a very refreshing pint of Brakspear's bitter - memories of two stag nights! We had a most excellent lunch at Villa Marina - an Italian restaurant near the river. After a campari and lemonade (my favourite aperitif on a hot day - Michael had it with the more conventional soda) we shared starters of pan fried sardines and king prawns followed by lemon sole (Michael) and pan fried skate with capers (me), a selection of fresh vegetables, sauteed potatoes washed down with a bottle of pouilly-fume. The restaurant was very full and lively and we spent a pleasant couple of hours (or more) eating and chatting about many varied subjects - not only some of our legal experiences but about cricket, family holidays etc. etc. The afternoon went by so incredibly quickly. We caught a taxi back to Michael's where I picked up my jacket and bag and the taxi took me back to Reading Stations with ten minutes to spare before my train back to Grateley. Back home I watched the collapse of the Pakistani team in the first Test at Trent Bridge. The day ended on bad light with Pakistan having one wicket in hand and needing eight runs to avoid the follow-on. Refreshed in the morning, I expect that they will find that an easy task.

No comments:

Post a Comment