Wednesday, July 21, 2010

More Work and Less Coffee

I must confess that I didn't wake particularly early this morning, or more truthfully, didn't get up that early! It was pleasant to sit in bed for a while and read my devotionals and a little bit more of my book on the sinking of the Belgrano. I've now reached the point where HMS Conqueror has arrived at South Georgia - how I remember it well - I was in Norfolk when news of the Task Force setting sail was announced. We didn't know, then, that Conqueror was already down there. Sara went off to Morning Star this morning to weed the asparagus and brought back a huge bag of surplus broad beans - I love eating these raw. Much better than cooked in my opinion. She also learned about the olfactory properties of digested asparagus. Something I have learned in the washrooms of expensive hotels and cruise liners! At lunchtime we met with our new bank manager and investment adviser followed by a trip to the hairdresser for me whilst Sara took advantage of my free coffee at Cafe Nero - earned by me drinking and paying for nine previous cups. When I joined her, later, I had to pay for my own again! Only another eight to go and Sara can have a free cup again!! Funny how she just happened to be with me when the free cup came about! I spent much of today, when not in town, dealing with Complex work. A new client dropped off some papers this afternoon for me to look at and I had a call from my HR contact in Devon with some more potential work. Retirement has definitely gone! I had numerous business phone calls and emails today - the BlackBerry pinging constantly. I also sent out quite a number of flyers to old contacts. Only tomorrow here in Wiltshire before I zoom up to Lincolnshire. I had a lovely phone chat with Maureen, our good friend in Leeds. We have agreed to meet for lunch in Pudsey on Friday before I go on to Grimsby. It's an exciting day tomorrow - not only do the general refuse men call, but also the cardboard and paper and plastic bottle recycling people. Got to get all the bins out tonight. Must get up early to watch them. In fact, they'll probably wake me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment