Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ash Wednesday

I guess today was remarkable by its lack of mince pies. Seriously, it was another early start as I had to drive over to Whaddon this morning to join the Team Clergy for Morning Prayer with breakfast afterwards at Elizabeth's home (the former Alderbury Rectory). This was the first time I had ever attended a service at St. Mary's Church Hall or visited the Alderbury Rectory. Breakfast consisted of hot rolls and coffee and orange juice - most welcome after an early start. We all returned to St. Mary's Hall for 10 a.m. where Nils and Jane were taking the traditional Ash Wednesday service. The hall was fully packed with members of congregations from all around the Team. Winterlsow was well represented. Gill sat next to me and spoke very encouragingly. After the service I returned to Winterslow. Sara was back from her stint at Morning Star but had to go off again very shortly afterwards to pick up Tom from his school's sick room. This morning he had complained of feeling sick and lethargic. Sara booked an appointment to see the doctor in Salisbury this afternoon. I went to the gym after lunch and spent just over an hour there before returning home via Tesco's to pick up a few groceries. The doctor has diagnosed Tom as suffering from "childhood migraines" which are a less severe form of the condition than those experienced by adults. He has been given some medication he must take if he has further attacks. Tonight I met with the Baptist Church pastor and members of the Methodist Church to plan an ecumenical service for May's Food for Thought. We made great progress and now have a plan put together for a truly ecumenical event. I need to take this back to the FFT Planning Group for approval. I am very excited at the initiative of the churches in Winterslow doing something together. On my return from the meeting at the Baptist Church, Sara was in conversation with her Dad and Andrea in the USA via Skype. It is David's 74th birthday today. Sara has been on a fast today - being the beginning of Lent - and is very grumpy as a result. It reminded me of the time when she first tried to quit smoking. Best to leave well alone at these times. Today I also managed to fix up a meeting in Droitwich with my old clients Kithead on 31st March and Sara will come with me to meet up with her niece at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment