Monday, March 14, 2011

Cowboys in Brighton

Tom was unwell again today and didn't attend school. Sara made bread this morning for the Morning Star Lent lunch at the Methodist Church Hall and I dealt with some pressing administrative matters in the study. I also packed for my overnight stay in Hove tonight. The post brought some very good news in the form of a letter from the Salisbury Discernment Secretary to inform me that my application for Lay Licensed Ministry had been formally accepted, that my references had been taken up and were satisfactory and that I would shortly be invited, officially, to attend the Selection Conference in June. Although I had been told this verbally my application was still subject to satisfactory references and it was reassuring to get this message in writing. My attendance is still, officially subject to the bishop's approval but as we have a new bishop just appointed that it appears to be a formality. This lunchtime I joined Sara, Morning Star members and some members of the local churches for a Lent lunch consisting of a roll and soup. Following lunch I drove over to Hove to stay with Peter and attend a meeting of Brighton and Hove Civic Lodge which took the form of a lecture on "Cowboy Freemasons" and a white table supper with wives, partners, widows and other guests. A very pleasant meal of roast chicken and (in my case) ice cream rather than the fruit crumble. On returning to Peter's we chatted until 1 a.m. on a number of topics especially education and the state of Brighton and Hove politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment