Sunday, March 27, 2011

Back to Old Clee

Woke at 8.30 a.m. this morning (what would have been 7.30 a.m. if we hadn't put the clocks forward). I made tea for Mum and myself and took her a cup. I went back to bed briefly to read my devotionals before showering and coming down for breakfast (bacon and tomato with a yoghurt). I walked to church for the 11 a.m. Service of the Word which was delivered by a Licensed Lay Minister which I observed with great care. After the service it was good to chat to some of the congregation over a quick coffee and to reminisce about my times as a chorister at the church and some of the characters in the choir, clergy and congregation at that time. They were a very friendly crowd and made me feel very welcome. I think they were somewhat disappointed that I didn't live locally or wanted to rejoin the choir! Mum had cooked a chicken casserole with cabbage and other vegetable which was very tasty and healthy. I finally left Grimsby at 2 p.m. and calle din on Tim briefly to deliver the other football ticket which I had forgotten to take with me last night. I drove over to Lincoln via Louth and Wragby and joined the A46 down to Leicester and Coventry. The road between Newark and Leicester is currently being upgraded and will cut my journey time up to Grimsby quite a bit when finished. I arrived home at 7.15 p.m. after a couple of short stops and Christina and Nigel (my old friends from Corporation of London days) called round to see Sara and me before we all went off for a drink in the Lion's Head. Richard joined us after Rockface and after Christina and Nigel left we carried on chatting over a couple more glasses of wine (I'm still off the beer for Lent). Back home I watched an interesting documentary about the comedian Ken Dodd before finally going to bed at 12.30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment