Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Day of Bible Readings

A very early start this morning as I had four separate church appointments before lunchtime today. I joined the Team Clergy Staff for Morning Prayer at St. John's followed by a light breakfast with them in the Team Office. This was immediately followed by Mid-Week Lent Eucharist in St. John's led by Cynthia. I was asked to give the bible reading which was the very familiar Jonah Chapter 3. After this service I joined Rosemary and two others for her Bible Reading Fellowship Study Group where we look through the last month's devotionals in New Daylight. This meeting ended with a discussion about other church issues and culinary arrangements for Food for Thought's Red Nose Day involvement with the Kidszone up at the cricket pavilion. Back home for a light lunch of crayfish salad, Sara then went off to Landford for her LPA training session - today on the topic of looking after the elderly. I spent the first part of the afternoon writing letters and emails and sending out the agendas for the April meeting of Sarum Lodge. At 2.30 p.m. I walked up to the school via the footpath from the Village Hall to Yarmley Lane arriving at the school fifteen minutes early. I then walked past the old pavilion on the Rec. and along the lane at the back of the Fry's house where I met John Fry on top of a ladder cutting his ivy hedge. John told me that thieves had removed a sixth of the lead roofing from All Saint's Church! More cost in replacing it and making good. Mary went to Brownies this evening and has been rewarded by the Pack by being made the Sixer of The Imps. Well done again, Mary! Tonight, I was determined to have a free evening but had two phone calls from clients. Life is so busy at the moment. Despite this, Sara and I watched a documentary written and presented by Melvyn Bragg about the influence of the King James Bible on many historical and cultural events over the past 400 years. Fascinating stuff and quite different from our intended viewing - The Lord of the Rings Part II! Indeed, both Sara and I have been confronted by bible readings on and off all day today - although not the King James Version. Sara went to bed early tonight feeling rather unwell. Hope it wasn't the steak I cooked tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment