Friday, March 25, 2011

Hove to Grimsby

Awoke reasonably early this morning at Peter’s, made a mug of tea and read my devotionals. I also wrote up my blog for yesterday before getting up and joining Peter for a second tea before we went out to Wheelies for a breakfast of grilled bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and egg. Peter was looking after his granddaughter, Leila, today and so I had the pleasure of pushing her in the pushchair along with us. Leila enjoyed toast and a sausage with us. Peter and I discussed arrangements for the extension, work for which we hope will start during the first week in April. After breakfast, and having taken Leila to the park for fifteen minutes or so to play on the slides, we returned to Peter’s and shortly afterward, I set off in the car form Grimsby travelling up the M23, M25 through the Dartford Tunnel (where there was a 2-miles queue to get to the toll booths) and then up the M11, A14 and A1 to Colsterworth and via Cranwell to Lincoln and ultimately Grimsby. I arrived at Mum’s at about 4.30 p.m. I gave her some flowers (red and white roses) which I had bought at Morrison’s on the way in to Grimsby and her birthday present (a book on The King’s Speech) and her Mothering Sunday present (the recently taken family group photograph). This evening we went for dinner at the Jug & Bottle at Holton-le-Clay just south of Grimsby and had an excellent turkey and gammon carvery at just 3.69 GBP followed, I have to guiltily admit, by free top ups of lovely Cornish ice cream in massive dishes! So tempting but not helpful for the points watching/counting. After a short drive along Cleethorpes Seafront we returned to Mum’s and chatted for a couple of hours over a glass or two of wine before going to bed at around 11.30 p.m. I couldn’t get to sleep at first and so read a few pages of the Jeff Lucas book I am currently reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment