Saturday, March 19, 2011

Wheely mixed fortunes

A day of mixed fortunes today. I woke early and after making tea set about removing the damaged wheel and tyre and replacing with the "slave" tyre from the boot. The whole operation took about twenty minutes and went quite smoothly. I telephone Bathwick Tyres who could fit me in straight away and so I drove over to them in Salisbury arriving at about 8.45 a.m. They took one look at the alloy wheel and informed me that it was damaged by the pothole and that it was no use fitting a new tyre on it as it would immediately leak air (I wonder whether it had been damaged before as I had been losing air from this tyre long before last night's incident). Fortunately, they recommended that I visit a welding company in Wilton who might be able to fix it. Their address was almost next to the photographer, Mandie, who had taken the family portraits recently. Helpfully, they said they could indeed repair the wheel and that it could be ready by Tuesday at the latest - I certainly need it done before the end of the week as I am going up to Grimsby. They told me that mending pothole damaged wheels was becoming quite a common pastime of their company. I left the wheel in their capable hands and picked up Anthony from his home to go to Waitrose for a coffee and a natter. This evening Tom and I drove slowly (on the slave tyre) to Southampton to watch the Saints v. Sheffield Wednesday match. An important game to win especially as Huddersfield drew their game and Bournemouth lost theirs. The first half lacked sparkle from the Saints with some rather silly blunders from Chaplow but in the second half two excellent goals (from Fonte and Lambert) secured a 2-0 win and closed the gap on Huddersfield. The second promotion place now seems Saints' to lose. Sara attended a makeover party in Tidworth tonight and so nobody was at home when we got back. I finished writing my Intercessions tonight for tomorrow's Eucharist and must confess look forward to my bed tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment