Sunday, November 27, 2011

Advent Service at St. Thomas's

A more typical day today.  Sara and the children had a lie-in this morning as I went to the 9.30 a.m. Morning Praise service at All Saints which was conducted by Maggie and Jane.  A really good service but poorly attended, I regret.  I gave Jan a lift to and from church and I was back home by 11.00 a.m.  I spent most of the afternoon completing my assignment and Sophie called round just after 4 p.m. to have a look at it and give me some tips (as she has recently completed an Open University Degree course she is well versed in academic essay writing) and tweaked it a bit.  Richard and Linda called round at 5.30 p.m. and we all went to the Advent Service at her new church, St. Thomas's in the city centre.  A lovely warm candlelit service with a wonderful choir.  Not much input from the congregation but a great opportunity to meditate and reflect upon the coming Christmas season.  We were each given a strip of linen to complete a crib on the altar.  Rod, a fellow Freemason, was in the congregation and appears to be involved in that church.  Sara spent most of the day ironing all the washing I had done whilst she was away at Champney's.  I spoke to my sister, Heather, briefly on the telephone this afternoon and it seems that there will not be the opportunity to meet up with her in Doncaster on Saturday.  Christmas presents will have to be left at Grimsby.  Richard and I met for a couple of pints in the Lion's Head to end the week and back home Sara and I watched an interesting programme showing private cine film of the Kennedy family - pictures never seen before.  The weekend seems to have flown by and has been really packed with unusual events.

No comments:

Post a Comment