Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Doreen White 1958-2011 RIP


Up early again this morning to drive slowly into Salisbury to have my tyre looked at.  The verdict was that there was nothing wrong with the tyre but I had a flat wheel caused by yet another pothole.  These potholes are becoming a real “nightmare” around our part of the world – some of our roads are beginning to resemble those in the Third World or on New Providence!  Bathwick Tyres managed to seal the leak which should sort out the problem for the moment but in the long term the wheel will need remoulding or replacing.  As a result of this unscheduled excursion, I missed this morning’s Mid-Week Eucharist at St. John’s but did manage to get to the Full Team Staff meeting at 11 a.m.  Sara interrupted that meeting towards the end to inform me that a settlement now seemed likely in my tribunal case and I was required back in my office to try and conclude a settlement.  I then spent a frantic hour trying to phone people and get the terms of a settlement agreed and drawn up.  Time was pressing as I wanted to go to Doreen’s funeral this afternoon at Alderbury.  Doreen had been a Lay Minister in our team and had died or a brain tumour at the early age of 53.  The church was absolutely packed with well over 200 people there as a guess.  The full clergy team were present and in addition Chris Reynard (the hospital chaplain) and Vanda, the Rural Dean.  There were many old faces from the team.  Although a funeral, it was a joyous occasion too as Doreen had planned the service as a celebration of her life and a celebration of her meeting with Christ in Heaven.  She did not fear her death, only a sadness for those she would leave behind.  Her coffin was draped with her ministerial scarf and a Saints scarf (being a passionate fan of Southampton FC from childhood).  I could not stay for refreshments and a chat with others (as I would have wished) and so after handing over some of the Plass/Lucas tickets for the Whiteparish contingent, I rushed back home to finalise the settlement and, thereby, remove the need for attending a two-day hearing in Croydon this week.  I managed to cancel my hotel but still have a return ticket on the train to Croydon.  I think I might go up to Croydon anyway, tomorrow, as it would normally be my day off, and spend some time riding on the trams up there.  Tonight I met up with Richard for a couple of pints in the Lion’s Head – feeling in need on a bit of a chat and relaxation after two very hectic days.

No comments:

Post a Comment