Sunday, November 20, 2011

A lazier Sunday

Sara, Mary and I attended the Parish Eucharist at All Saints this morning which was taken by Alec Knight, the former Dean of Lincoln Cathedral who has retired and now lives in Whiteparish here in the Clarendon Team.  A good service and sermon on the theme of Sheep and Goats from Matthew's Gospel.  The church was quite well attended this morning.  We had a roast pork lunch today and the kids were asked to tidy up their bedrooms before lunch.  We all had quite a nice lazy Sunday afternoon watching TV and, I must confess, a bit of a snooze in my reclining armchair.  I attended the BCP Sung Evensong this evening at Farley this evening where the preacher was the new Master of St. Nicholas's Hospital, Harnham, Canon Michael Goater.  St. Nicholas's Hospital provides sheltered accommodation for the aged who require some looking after but but wish to and do remain independent with their own separate accommodation within the hospital.  I did find his sermon rather erudite, I must say, although well executed.  Quite good in the setting of a traditional BCP service.  It is quite interesting analysing various preacher's styles from which I can learn for my own future preaching career.  After speaking to Mum on the phone, and I was pleased that she has been feeling much better today (she had been in my prayers frequently today) I ended the day and the weekend having a couple of pints in the pub with Richard and Klynn.  We see little of Klynn these days as he is commuting to Europe (particularly Paris) with his job.  It was good to get together again for an hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment