Sunday, November 13, 2011

Remembrance Sunday - "Last of the Summer Wine" Triumphs!

Remembrance Sunday today but Sara, Mary and I decided that instead of going to the Remembrance Day Service at All Saints (which is normally taken over by the British Legion and filled with non church goers) we would use the opportunity to go to City Church which Mary likes and which Sara had not experienced.  As the style is very similar to Spring Harvest I was sure Sara would enjoy it - besides, I felt in need of some detailed spiritual uplifting worship and teaching.  An excellent 45 minutes talk on St. Peter's "wobbles" made me feel quite human and emphasised how hard it can be to be a Christian.  Dear Peter, how so many of us can relate to him!  We had a late lunch of roast beef today and I managed to get to speak to Mum and also Heather on the phone.  Still unsure on what Mum's Christmas arrangements are going to be although she is more than welcome to come and spend some time with us down here.  Tonight we had a full quiz team with James and Tom joining "Last of the Summer Wine" in Paula's quiz.  We won handsomely with a 16 point lead at the end.  Another bottle of wine to add to the collection.  When I got back, Sara was watching a very moving drama about Rudyard Kipling's loss of his son Jack in the First World War.  Having been to Bateman's his home and with Kipling having been a keen Freemason, I found what I saw of the programme very interesting and insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment