Saturday, November 26, 2011

An old friend visits - Saints lose

Winterslow Village Hall featured in my life for a third day this week - but more of that later.  A busy Saturday morning with me taking Tom up to football on Barry's Field where Clarendon Juniors lost to the top of the league club by 1-3.  Tom and the team were quite demoralised by this defeat - their team is certainly not doing too well at the moment.  Sara was out in Amesbury this morning and at lunchtime today my old student friend from Liverpool days, Dave, came over from Swindon (where he now lives) and we all went to the Lord Nelson for lunch.  The kids were introduced to the game of dominoes for the firs time - I hadn't realised that they have never played this game before - and really enjoyed it.  We have a really good set of tiles in the family room and must get it out one evening.  Dave came back, after lunch, for coffee where we nattered until he left us a 4 p.m. to go into Salisbury to attend the Advent Parade at the Cathedral.  I had intended to work on my essay this afternoon but watched the live football scores coming through on Sky TV.  A disastrous day for Saints today.  They lost 2-0 to near bottom of the league team Bristol City.  That defeat was compounded by a resounding win by West Ham against Derby County (2-0) which now leaves Saints with only a slender two-point lead at the top of the Championship with West Ham breathing down their necks!  Tom and I watched the West Ham game live on Sky.  Tonight, Sara and I went to Penny F's 50th Birthday Party at the village hall (second day in a row that I've spent my evening there) where we spent about 3 hours chatting to friends.  We can chili con carne for the main meal with excellent cheese and biscuits and puddings (one supplied by Sara - her famous lemon mousse) and a cash bar run by Roger from the Lord Nelson.  Although I am not a great party goer it was a lovely way to end a rather interesting and unusual day - seeing an old friend and watching Saints lose!

No comments:

Post a Comment