Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Tea with the Bishop (and Archbishop)


Again, I spent most of the day at home.  Tom was also at home as the public sector workers strike against pensions and pay changes had closed his school.  The less militant Winterslow School remained open and Mary, reluctantly, had to attend.  Sara did her stint at Morning Star as usual.  I did a bit of Complex work and cleaned my car as well as tidying up some of the family room and putting some bits and pieces in the loft. This afternoon, I went to PC World again to buy a monitor cable for my laptop so that I can show a PowerPoint presentation on the TV to the House Group tomorrow evening.  After this I attended St. Mary's Church Hall in Whaddon to have tea with the new Bishop of Salisbury who was accompanied by Archbishop Daniel of the Sudan.  The tea was for him to meet all the Licensed Lay Ministers and trainee (me!) in the Alderbury Deanery.  I had a long chat with him about a number of things including Sara's work on the Calendar and I also gave the group my view about the need for missional work (not missionary work) if the Church of England is to have a "hopeful" future.  The bishop listened carefully to all his lay ministers had to say and seemed interested in our ministry.  There is often, I sense,  a feeling amongst the laity that their views are not held in much esteem above the views of their ordained brethren.   We have a very special ministry, as I pointed out when I spoke in open session, to get alongside ordinary lay people as part of laity ourselves - a unique and blessed position to be in.  This is what I feel I have been called to do and this is what I expressed to Bishop Nick, as he likes to be known.  Feeling quite tired tonight and looking forward to a good night's rest.  Need to press on with my second essay tomorrow and will be pleased when the first portfolio is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment