Sunday, December 26, 2010

A long Boxing Day walk

The weather continues with its cold snap and my car remains trapped in our drive. After yesterday's excesses of food I thought it a good idea to go for another 3-miles walk today and walked my circuit to East Winterslow and back - 2.8 miles to be precise. Sara and Mary also went for a walk and did the 2.4 miles circuit down Weston Lane, Livery Road, passing the Rectory on the way back along The Plantation back to The Common. There had been a deep frost last night and the frozen snow was quite difficult to walk on especially where it had been compacted. I found that Clough Lane was so dangerous that Pheasant Hill had been closed to traffic. Nevertheless, I plodded on along Pincroft Lane and took some lovely snowy photographs with my Blackberry across Salisbury Plain. I felt really invigorated by the time I returned (after 70 minutes). I had a warming home-made mulligatawny soup on my return and we had a video chat with Sara's Dad, Andrea and Andrea's son, Rick/Duff who I guess is Sara's step-brother. He is spending Christmas in North Carolina from New Hampshire where he currently lives (a little north of Boston). this evening we watched Crocodile Dundee and Some Mothers do 'Ave 'Em on the TV. I actually went to bed quite early tonight feeling quite tired. I watched some TV before Sara joined me well before midnight. This wretched cold weather which seems to go on and on is really quite debilitating and interferes with many things I'd like to do - for example clear a load of things and take them down the dump. Still we are on holiday. Today's Southampton match against Charlton was postponed and the Saints have dropped to eleventh in the table. However some good sporting news is that England are thrashing the Aussies in the Fourth Ashes Test Match and look like retaining the Ashes on Aussie territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment