Saturday, December 11, 2010

Poor Day for Football

Not a very good footballing day today. Up bright and early again as Tom had to be up at the Hilltop Grill for a trip to Winchester to play for Clarendon Juniors. We all arrived at 9.15 a.m. or thereabouts and as usual I led the merry band using my SatNav. This time we arrived without any SatNav bungles onloy to find that the game had been called off because the pitch "might have some frost under the surface" to quote the groundsman. Five away football teams, ourselves included, were livid. We could have stayed in Winterslow. Gary inspected the pitch amd reported that he could see not frost at all - the temprarature has been above freezing over the last 48 hours. As Tom and I were going on to watch Saints play Brentford, this afternoon, we decided to drive on into Southampton and do some shopping. We parked at our ususal car park and walked to the stadium for me to pick up the cup tie tickets against Blackpool and also an away ticket for the Walsall match next week. We then walked to the main shopping area and bought Tom some new football boots - pink ones! - his choice. We had some Harry Ramsden's fish and chips (27 pro-points aaagh!) which I found difficult to finish - I left most of the batter. After some further looking around the shops we walked back to the car and then back to St. Mary's to watch the match. Saints were terrible - I can hardly bring myself to describe how ghastly they were. Two stupid soft goals at the hand sof our goalie, Kelvin cost us the three points. A bad day - especially as our rivals didn't do so well and we could have really capitalised on a win. Not a happy bunny today as far as football was concerned - one postponed match; one appalling game and one pair of pink football boots for Tom! Tonight I had to make do with chicken breast in tomato sauce and broccoli and a glass of red wine. Fortunately becasue of the amount of walking I did in Southampton today - 4 miles - my fish and chips won't have done too much damage. It really is amazing how bad they are on this diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment