Sunday, December 05, 2010

Icy Sunday in Winterslow




Still very cold when I got up this morning. Nobody was very enthusiastic to attend church today so I made myself a sausage bun and walked to church across the fields. The journey took about half an hour and I had to walk carefully to avoid slipping on the ice. Elizabeth took the service this morning - an All Age Eucharist - and I gave the reading from Isaiah. We are now already at the Second Sunday in Advent - Christmas approaches faster each year. As I walked back home after the service the sun had come out and the remaining snow and ice were melting making the tracks across the fields quite muddy. Back home I had another coffee and set about writing some more Christmas cards. This afternoon, Sara and Mary went into Salisbury shopping at Tesco's to buy groceries and some Christmas presents and cleaned and dusted the lounge - its amazing how much dust comes from the fire. I watched some TV as well as writing some more cards and letters. Tonight Sara cooked us all an excellent pork roast which was very welcomed as I had only had a light lunch of tinned crab salad. The freezing weather came back this evening with a vengeance and the melted ice and snow froze deeply. Sara made the mistake of driving down the drive with groceries and the car was subsequently stuck. I managed to get it back up to the road but it became stuck in the ice there. Hopefully we can move it down the hill tomorrow otherwise my car is now well and truly stuck in the drive. I had my now usual couple of pints with Richard and James in the Lion's Head to discuss the quiz next week and some church matters. It really is cold - must be near -10 degrees tonight. Not sure whether the Grimsby trip is going to be on this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment