Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year

Last day of the year. Sara and Mary went into Salisbury leaving Tom and me to tidy up the house and the front drive. Tom worked hard cleaning up the wet leaves which we bagged up into four large plastic sacks to take down to the recycling station in Salisbury. We also dusted and polished the furniture in the lounge. My plans for this afternoon were to take the leaves to the recycling plant, spent an hour in the gym where our friend Anthony would meet me so that he could come back with me to Winterslow and spend the evening with us to see the New Year in. The first part of the plan went well and I was able to off load all the leaves at the dump but when I arrived at the Leisure Centre it was to find that it had closed at lunchtime and Anthony was not due for another hour. I decided that I would not waste the hour but put it to good use by going for a long walk to replace the exercise I would have had in the gym. I therefore walked to Stratford-Sub-Castle and back - around one and a half miles - which used up both time and calories! Anthony arrived a little before 4 p.m. and we set off for Winterslow. This evening Sara cooked a fantastic pork roast - absolutely beautiful piece of pork - with a red cabbage accompaniment washed down with an American wine. Afterwards we had Eton Mess. We all dressed up for dinner and i was delighted to discover that I had lost sufficient weight to be able to wear my old silk waistcoat which I had bought several years ago in Paris. Anthony kindly took some photos of us in our smart gear. After dinner, Anthony and I went down to the Lion's Head where we found the bar pretty full with people in fancy costume. Still wearing my waistcoat I felt that I could pass for Dennis Taylor, the snooker player. The prize went to Mick Gong as "Mr. T". Richard and Linda joined us and after a couple of hours in the pub came back with us to see the New Year in over a glass of bubbly and to play charades! They left us at around 1 a.m. and we continued to play charades until 3 p.m. in the morning. I am afraid that I seemed to lose track of both the time and the amount of wine I drank! I am sure that I have well and truly blown the Fight Fighter regime today!

No comments:

Post a Comment